Strap

Sunday 11 May 2008

High On A Hill Sat A Lonely Goatherd



C'mon - you can do it...How bad could it actually be??!! Those are the fatal words that have been uttered by a group of my mates - in a effort to shame me into climbing Mount Snowdon on Saturday the 17th of May 2008.

The wikipedia website lists it as such:...the highest mountain in Wales and the highest British mountain south of the Scottish Highlands, is "probably the busiest mountain in Britain.  read as there WILL be stag do's and drunken revelry in your immediate vicinity"[1] It is located in Snowdonia National Park (Welsh: Parc Cenedlaethol Eryri), in Gwynedd - read as I haven't got a CLUE with all the all the vowels and consonants to know where the hell I am... The summit is known as Yr Wyddfa (IPA: [ɐɾ 'wɪðva], Welsh for "the tumulus"[2]) and lies at an altitude of 1,085 metres (3,560 ft) above sea level - I can do this - I lived in Jo'burg for close on 30 years of my life - and THAT was only 2000 odd meters above sea level!!!!. For comparison, it is the same height as Table Mountain in South Africa - only you won't land up summiting Snowdown naked and bloody - with a sore bum - cos you got mugged and buggered by the 'bergies' on the scenic route!. As the highest peak in Wales, Snowdon is one of three mountains climbed as part of the National Three Peaks Challenge. The English name Snowdon comes from the Saxon "Snow Dun," meaning "snow hill," although the amount of snow on Snowdon in winter has been decreasing recently, having dropped by more than 55% since 1994.[3] Oh goody - so it won't be cold then...
Snowdon has one of the wettest climates in Great Britain, receiving an annual average of more than 4,500 millimetres (180 in) of precipitation.[4] - oh damn - so that means I'll be wet AND cold by the time I get up there...

So the dilemma I face is this - do I stay - or do I go...Watch this space - I might even post a pic or two...If I don't get up there - this is wot it looks like from the top...



No comments: