Strap

Thursday 26 November 2009

Boo! And you thought I slunk off Quietly...

Well, I am off to the neurosurgeon on Monday for, what I hope is, my final set of nerve blocks. My neuro told me a year ago, that he likes to perform the nerve blocks three times before severing the occipital nerve entirely. This is so that the patient (me) can gauge how they can manage with a numb skull...

Let me just say, I think I will manage quite fine thank you very much! Anything is better than feeling like 'Jason' from 'Friday the 13th' has been set loose on your brain with a blunt butter knife and 15 litres of pure rubbing alcohol!

I am now 4 weeks in to my Chemo, and nausea and tiredness seem to be the two overriding factors that I feel. Some days, more than most, the bone numbing exhaustion really smacks me from behind. At first I tried fighting it, but lately I just don't have the energy! LoL.

In the midst of all of this tiredness and nausea, it would appear, that I have managed to glean ONE brand new follower! Woo Hoooo! Would the room please be upstanding for the lovely Simply-Mel. Simply-Mel has been 'giving me gears' the last few days, because I hadn't had the energy, or the inclination, to post of late! So I dragged my bone tired, retching self off, to park in front of the pompcuter and do a wee bit of blogging. LoL. I hope you are happy Mel! (tee hee)

You probably all remember my friend Kirsty - Well she has apparently tagged me and I have to respond, by answering a few questions. As usual, our little Taliban-Tinkerbell doesn't care about rules, and so I will be playing by her rules today!

Kirsty's way is as follows:

"The next 6 things you read are things you probably/possibly never knew about me. They may be fact or fiction... it's up to you to decide which you think is real or fake. They may also ALL be real, or all be fake!! If you partake in the guessing game, I will tell you which are correct!"

Here goes:

1.) Cast your mind back to a different time, a time when we were all young and innocent. That time was 1981. May of 1981 to be precise, and I had just moved to South Africa. Kirsty just happened to be in the same school (Bryandale Primary) and the same class - and even remained in my class, right up to Matric!

(see photographic exhibit one)

(I am 1st on the left; second row down. Kirsty is 2nd on the left third row down)

Fast forward a few decades, and I rediscovered that wee imp, through the wonders of Vleis Broek; Face Bike; Farce Book or whatever else you want to call it! So Fact (or Fiction) 1: is that I have known Kirsty 27 years. O.M.G.!!! I just felt myself age like Rumpelstiltskin! TWENTY SEVEN YEARS! Kirsty is my 'Picture of Dorian Grey'... If I happen to clap eyes on her visage, I shall instantly wither and age!

2.) Despite my dashing good looks and fabulous personality - I have only ever had 3 serious girlfriends, and I have been engaged twice. (Phew - Thank You Jesus, that I dodged the first bullet!) Not to speak ill of the Ex, but she was a psycho bunny on steroids!

3.) I am DESPERATELY broody, and would have another wee nipper snapping at Bean's heels in a heartbeat! I have been like this for the last 18 months, and I think Shaugs would benefit HUGELY from a baby brother or sister. The one who is putting the brakes on BEEG time is the other party, who needs to carry our new addition for 9 very short months! I am working on Bean though, so watch this space...

4.)Having just wittered on about WANTING another baby, I genuinely sometimes feel like such a failure as a dad. I am getting better with regard to showing Shaugs more patience but I guess every one of us, at some time, feel a failure.

5.) I am actually quite scared by what the future holds. Full Stop. I really do sometimes wonder what lies just ahead, to the point of worrying about it. I dislike things that I cannot control INTENSELY! Hence you could say I am a bit of a control freak...

6.) I wish my Nanna, who we nicknamed Floss, had lived a few more years, so that Bean and Shaugs could have met her. Floss was strong; feisty; such a larger than life personality, and HUGELY funny! She was a scream! there wasn't a day; hour or minute that Floss didn't see the funnier side of life - and let everybody else know it too! Driving through the countryside the one day, she turned to my mum (who by this stage was about 50 odd) and said: "I joined the circus when I was younger... But gave it all up for you..." When my mum asked her incredulously WHAT she had done in the circus, without missing a beat she replied in her broad Scottish accent: "I walked that high wire thingy, in a skimpy wee bikini..."

OK - Now this is the bit where I was supposed to do the tagging. I don't have any 'usual suspects' But if you wanna jot down your answers on a postcard, I would gladly read them and reply to you!

3 comments:

Mel said...

Geez, now I feel bad for K@kking on you to blog ; didnt realise what you fighting... but YES - laying in bed for too long isnt good for the soul.

THANK YOU for posting.

I am guessing those are all true sir....I dont know you at all but me thinks there are no tall stories there.

Crikey, you sound as nuts as Kirsty!! The two of you must have been quite something back in them dark ages. ;-)

Kirsty said...

They are true!Except no. 1 - 'cos I'm only 23, so how could I have possibly known you for 27 years, dammit???

Sterkte mt friend for the chemo, neurosurgeon, numbskull etc...

Can I ask you when your symptoms developed? At what age? And also - where in your brain your lesion is?
Ta x

The Brummie Vines said...

Kirsty, The tumour is in the left hemisphere of the Septum Pellucidium. I developed the symptoms quite early - My mom recalled me having 'episodes' where I would become 'blank' and 'stare-y' at around the age of 3.

I still have those episodes, where I go 'blank and stare-y'. This is followed by a global amnesia episode, where I do not know who I am; where I am; or who anybody is, for anywhere from three quarters of an hour to an hour long.

My symptoms have been quite extreme, with extremely long episodes of headache/migraine/pain involved right from the beginning.

Kirsty, I don't know what to say to you. Re Ryan; All I can say, is that it was probably an isolated incident that occurred last year. The new Pediatric Neurosurgeon has done the right thing calling for a full MRI. Only once that is in, could she possibly rule out all things, and set your mind at ease.

It sounds quite radical ordering all these tests - but it is the fastest way to rule stuff out and 'get on with things'.

Take heart my friend! I am praying SO hard for Ryan; and for you (GENUINELY!! - I am on my knees EVERY night and EVERY morning since I heard the news) Ryan will be fine, I just know it.

All my Love

Ryan
-x-